XFL Commissioner and CEO Oliver Luck joined The Ken Carman Show with Anthony Lima to talk about the XFL and why spring football can work.
Luck talked about what makes the XFL different from the AAF, what rules the league is working on and if QB’s John Manziel and Colin Kaepernick are welcome in the XFL.
- Chance to work for a Football league startup is what drew him out of his NCAA job
- Believes there is a market for Spring Football after the Super Bowl. “(Spring) is a quiet time in the sports world.”
- Vince McMahon is the one and the only person with the money. No need to deal with multiple investors and he can focus on the league. Different from the AAF
- Vince McMahon’s capital gives the league time and money to get things in place to have a successful league
- QB talent is critical for the league and they pay more money for those players
- Only 32 teams in the NFL with two slots typically for QBs. He feels there is a ton of talent out there not on NFL teams
- Quarterbacks are the top of the food chain
- 12 innovations the XFL is working on. See Luck On XFL Overtime, 1, 2 or 3 Point Conversions, Manziel for details
- Vince McMahon wants a stand-alone league not affiliated with the NFL. Has no interest in selling the league to the NFL
- College football is the developmental league for the NFL
- XFL broadcast partners like the XFL Overtime rules
- Open to John Manziel playing in the XFL as long, he fits the behavioral standards of the league and the coaches feel like he’s good enough. XFL has had no contact with him
- Same applies to Colin Kaepernick, doesn’t know if he is in shape or not. Not sure he would be interested in playing in the XFL based on the rumored salary requirements. We reported Colin Kaepernick Wanted $20 Million To Play In XFL here. But he would be open to him as well.
On the Colin Kaepernick part of the story. The media has been reporting this story as “XFL commissioner and CEO Oliver Luck seems open to having Johnny Manziel in the league, but doesn’t seem as open to Colin Kaepernick.” If you listen to the interview he has the same interest in both players but Kaepernick probably wouldn’t want to play in the XFL. Listen for your self at the (9:12 mark)
XFL Supplemental Draft Date Set, Interview With Former Hitman Radio Voice Peter Schwartz – Live Show Tuesdays 8 pm Eastern
/ 4 days ago
XFL Supplemental Draft To Take Place Friday, Nov 22nd, Interview With Former Hitman Radio...