I was able to attend the Pep Hamilton XFL press conference announcement. He was an announcement as the new Head Coach and GM of the Washington DC XFL franchise. The conference took place at Audi field. Home of the new XFL Washington DC franchise and the MLS DC United.
My notes from the press conference;
- First Time At Audi Field: This is my first time in the area and across the street is Major League Baseballs The Washington National’s park. Taking the metro to an XFL game should be a breeze for a lot of DC area residents. For those who live on the outskirts of the Metro, heading to a game might be a bit more trouble. The parking around the area was not that great because there is a TON of construction that is going on.
- WWE: I did see someone with a WWE jacket. The presence of the WWE is still felt within the XFL as they ramp up for the 2020 season.
- DC Events Board Member, Ty Simpson: As he was talking about the different Washington DC sports franchises. He failed to mention the Washington Capitals who won the Stanley Cup in 2018. Kind of a big miss there. I think the locals knew that too because you could hear rumbling as he was finishing up.
- Oliver Luck on XFL TV Deal: A new TV deal coming soon. He said four games will be televised weekly. Two on over the air terrestrial television, and two on cable, which he would be networks easy to find and known by sports fans. This is great for the league and fans. Big TV deals with major markets set up the leagues future well.
- Pep Hamilton On Oliver Luck: Said he has the Midas touch when it comes to his success from his family to business dealings. That was a big draw for him
- Pep Hamilton On Hiring Staff: Wants staff to have the right mindset. That don’t have limitations on what they could do.
- Pep Hamilton On The DMV: Wants to share his knowledge and passion for the game with other coaches in the area. Inclusion with little league coaches to high schools coaches access to pro football coaches.
- Pep Hamilton Howard University Family: Gave props to the support from faculty and coaches and friends from his days at playing for Howard University.
There was also a former Redskin sighting as well, former running back Clinton Portis. I wonder if he will be part of Pep Hamilton’s staff.
I really like this guy and hire by the XFL. What struck me about him was his connection to Washington DC and Howard University, his alma mater. His emphasis on the community surrounding the franchise. He wants the XFL to connect with local high school and college coaches and be involved. This is the kind of thing that can build a local franchise and serve the XFL well long term.
XFL Supplemental Draft Date Set, Interview With Former Hitman Radio Voice Peter Schwartz – Live Show Tuesdays 8 pm Eastern
/ 4 days ago
XFL Supplemental Draft To Take Place Friday, Nov 22nd, Interview With Former Hitman Radio...